Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mr. Dylan and His Influence and Me and My Lack of Sleep

Out of the blue, I had one of my former students ask me about the tone in the song, "The Times, They Are A'Changin'." Wow, what a super, unexpected question! Recently I've been looking at songs and using them in my lessons to teach various literary and grammar elements. I had this student in class last year, and I'm not sure if the lesson was specifically about the song, but I was impressed that Mr. Dylan's influence was still felt 40 plus years after he penned those enlightening lyrics. She asked if the tone was negative or neutral. I felt like it was decidedly negative with its warnings and admonitions. She asked if Bob wrote any songs with a more positive tone. I asked her to check out "Positively 4th Street." That's always been a favorite, dare I say, empowerment, song of mine.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for me to revisit the lyrics of "The Times They Are A'Changin". With all that's happening right now in society, perhaps "times" are changin' again.

Well, I did it again. I left school late last night after a lengthy afternoon of grading and getting caught up on schoolwork. Once I got home, yes, I did have some schoolwork I wanted to finish, but I talked to Kris on the phone and finished last week's Sports Illustrated first. Sure enough, I laid down on my bed and didn't wake up until about 2:30. Idiot, idiot, idiot! I'll try again tonight. It's one of the worst self-fulfilling prophecies I've ever had. I must break myself of it. When it's bedtime, it's bedtime, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment