Friday, August 21, 2009

Mr. Dylan Was Probably on to Something

Ah, to be young and vibrant and, well, full of energy again. I think Zimmy was right when he said oh so many years ago, "The times, they are a' changin'." Vividly I remember getting up for those 6:30 morning practices three or four times a week for track and cross-country in college. Granted, when I first met with Coach Banton during fall quarter my freshman year and he told me about morning practices, I thought, "Yeah right! There's no way I'm going to run and lift weights in the morning and then come back and practice in the afternoon." Sure enough, I got into a pretty good pattern by the end of my freshman year. I'd get up early, stay up late, and think nothing of it.

Lately, it seems I just don't have the same 24-hour steam I used to. I often feel totally wiped out and drained physically and emotionally. Even as recently as a few years ago, I could multi-task with the best of them: working on lessons, grading, staying in touch with friends, and even meeting social engagements. What's happened to the quirky ol' bald man? I think some of it has to do with attitude. This is something I want to change this year. A verse in Proverbs says, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." When I find myself feeling low and discouraged and overwhelmed, I've noticed that not only the quantity of my work suffers but also the quality. And that's a very humbling, take-a-minute-and-reevaluate-things thought when you work with young people as I do. On the flip side, when I'm up and confident in myself and my abilities, shoot fire, the sky's the limit. I want to regain that tenacity I had those many years ago. I know the good Lord didn't bless me with certain gifts and abilities just to be used for a certain amount of time but for my whole life. There are many areas in my life in which I'd like to be more diligent and dedicated: spiritually, professionally, personally, socially. I've been very fortunate and blessed to have such abundant unconditional love and support from Kristin. I want to improve actively showing her my appreciation for what she's done for me but also look for ways to support and encourage her. I think there will be benefits for both of us.

I guess a solution to my quandary is motivation and desire. When the levels of motivation and desire increase, productivity increases as well. Hopefully I can be more productive and address, beat down, and eliminate those feelings that result in a defeatist, discouraged attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment