Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Will she like it?

I try to be romantic. Really, I do. At times, I've referred to myself as a "hopeless romantic." Some may simply consider me "hopeless." I make mental notes of scenes from movies and TV shows that seem to get the girl's heart or seem creative to me. I haven't pulled a John Cusack from Say Anything, but I like his style, and I've always got a copy of "In Your Eyes" nearby. Kristin and I have been dated for almost a year. In fact, she believes our first date was last year on August 25, so in some ways, today is our first anniversary. However, I'm more concerned about the new chapter Miss Kristin (as she was known at her old job) officially began today. This was her first day as a bona fide school teacher. She's a special ed resource teacher at an elementary school down in Clear Lake, a suburb south of Houston. I still remember to commemorate the first day of my teaching career when I was charged with handling a fourth grade class at West Elementary School in Logan, Ohio, my dad made an "official" certificate on the computer recognizing that special day. Our "theme song" (for lack of a better term) is "Moon River." For this past Valentine's Day, I rewrote the lyrics to the song with lines connected to our relationship. That meager attempt seemed to go over well. For her birthday (April 30), I drove down unbeknownst to her and waited with her roommate at her house for her to return home from visiting with a friend. It was a Thursday night, and I drove to her house from school and got there around 8:00. Her roommate and I had no idea when she would return home, so even though I've never seen it (thank goodness), I did play The Waiting Game. I had bought a humongous cake from Kroger (I obviously had no idea how to mentally size the cake from the employee's directions). We probably could have fed a small third-world country with that pastry. Gradually, I think I was improving in my romantic pursuits. She really seemed to like that one. And now for today's idea: I am about to leave school (It's 8:30. Don't even ask why I'm still here!). I am going to pick up a rose and a box or two of cookies. I already have a vase I brought from home. After inserting the rose into the vase, I will completely surround the flower with the cookies, creating my very own "cookie bouquet." Hopefully, the idea's a winner.....

No comments:

Post a Comment